This recipe is a treat for me to share. I know the limitations that come with eating gluten-free and that's why I challenge my gluten-free flour mixes to make more recipes.
I made these cake-like donuts with my Perfect Pie Crust Mix. These miniature donuts remind me of a snickerdoodle cookie but in a donut. When dipped in melted butter and rolled in cinnamon-sugar they are so flavorful, they melt in your mouth.
In finalizing my recipe, I asked my mom and sister for their opinions. In my mom’s words, "These are scrump-dilicious!” to which my sister added, “You can't have just one!” This is a simple doughnut recipe, but it's a yummy treat for any time of the year.
Prep: 15 min. Bake: 18 min. Makes: 1 dozen donuts
- 5 Tbsp. butter, melted or dairy-free butter
- ½ c. sugar or sugar substitute
- 1 large egg (or egg substitute of 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tablespoon water and 1 tablespoon of vinegar)
- ½ c. buttermilk (Make buttermilk by adding ½ tsp. vinegar to milk - let sit 5 minutes)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. soda
- dash of nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 1 ½ c. Perfect Pie Crust Mix
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- ¼ c. butter, melted or dairy-free butter
- ¼ c. sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
You will need a donut or muffin pan.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease donut or muffin pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl melt butter. Add sugar and stir together with a fork. (sugar will start to dissolve). Add the egg and whisk together. Pour buttermilk over top.
- In a medium bowl, combine the baking powder, soda, nutmeg, salt and pie crust mix. Mix until combined. Scoop the dry mixture into the milk & butter mixture and stir together with a fork until smooth. The batter will become thick but silky smooth.
- Spoon donut batter into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip or into a ziplock baggie with the tip cut off. Pipe batter into the donut ring until full. If using the muffin pan, fill each well ½ full.
- Bake at 350ºF for 16 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before dipping in topping.
- Melt the butter for the topping and set aside. Combine the cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl. Dip each donut lightly in the melted butter then sprinkle or roll in cinnamon sugar.
- Serve immediately. Donuts the next day, microwave 10-15 seconds to soften just like fresh-baked.
Did you make this recipe? We'd love to see your creations. Tag @minusgbaking on Instagram or @MinusGBakingCo on Facebook. Happy baking!