Everything you've dreamed about in a biscuit is right here! These are the most tender gluten-free biscuits you'll find and they are made with our Pie Crust Mix. The key is to not over mix your dough. This will give you light and flaky layers every time. We recommend serving them piping hot with honey, jam or a light slather of butter.
*Baker's note: Dairy free? I recommend substituting Earth Balance in place of the butter.
Light & Flaky Biscuits
Makes 6 biscuits
- 1½ cups MinusG’s Pie Crust Mix
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder (corn-free baking powder recipe)
- 4 Tbsp cold butter chips
- 1 eggs or egg substitute
- ½ cup milk or milk substitute
- Preheat oven to 500°.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together pie crust mix, sea salt and baking powder. Cut in cold butter chips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Whisk together egg and milk. Add to dry ingredients.
- With a large spoon stir mixture quickly, just until it is blended and begins to mass and form a sticky dough. (If dough appears dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons additional buttermilk.)
- Immediately turn dough onto lightly-floured surface. Using floured hands, knead gently 8-10 times until cohesive ball of dough forms.
- Gently flatten dough with hands to even thickness. Using floured rolling pin, lightly roll dough to a 1/2 - 3/4-inch thickness.
- Using a dinner fork dipped in flour, pierce dough completely through at 1/2-inch intervals. Flour a 2 1/2- or 3-inch biscuit cutter. Stamp out rounds.
- Dust off extra flour and place on a lightly greased heavy baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, 9-11 minutes. Serve warm.
*For 3/4-in, increase bake time
*For a cinnamon twist, add 1½ tsp sugar and ¼ tsp cinnamon to the dough. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon sugar and bake. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Use hashtag #minusg to share your photos. We'd love to see your creations. And be sure to tag @minusgbaking on Instagram. Happy baking!