Everything you've dreamed about in a biscuit is right here! These are the most tender gluten-free biscuits you'll find and they are made with our Pie Crust Mix. The key is to not over mix the dough. This will give you light and flaky layers every time. We recommend serving them piping hot with honey, jam or a light slather of butter.
- Dairy-free? We recommend substituting Earth Balance or Country Crock Avocado Butter. Any milk of choice works.
- Egg-free? We like to use "Just Egg"
Gluten-free Light & Flaky Biscuits Recipe
Makes 6 biscuits
- 1½ cups MinusG Pie Crust Mix
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder (corn-free baking powder recipe)
- 4 Tbsp frozen butter of choice grated
- 2 eggs or "Just Egg" egg replacer (or substitute with 1 tsp baking powder, 2 Tbsp milk of choice plus 2 Tbsp. vinegar.)
- ¼ cup milk or milk substitute
- tapioca starch or starch of choice for shaping dough.
- Preheat oven to 500°.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together pie crust mix, sea salt and baking powder. Cut in cold butter chips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Whisk together egg and milk. Add to dry ingredients.
- With a large spoon stir mixture quickly, just until it is blended and begins to mass and form a sticky dough. (If dough appears dry, add 1 tablespoon additional milk.)
- Turn the slightly sticky dough onto a surface dusted lightly with tapioca starch. Sprinkle just enough tapioca starch over the dough to keep your hands from sticking to the dough. Press together until cohesive ball of dough forms. (minimal handling will keep the biscuits light and flaky)
- Flatten dough to 1/2 - 3/4-inch thickness with you hands or a dusted rolling pin. Cut into squares or dust a 2 1/2- or 3-inch biscuit cutter with starch and stamp out rounds.
- Place on a lightly greased or parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, 9-11 minutes. Serve warm.
*For a cinnamon twist, add 1½ tsp sugar and ¼ tsp cinnamon to the dough. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon sugar and bake. Enjoy!