Buttery Gluten-Free Pull-Apart Dinner Rolls
Makes: 12 rolls | Rise: 25-30 min | Bake: 22-25 min
Surprise your family with these gluten-free dinner rolls! These are the lightest gluten-free rolls yet. They are made using MinusG's Sandwich Bread Mix, a third cup of potato flakes, a little salt and butter. It's the garlic brown-butter makes these rolls exceptionally fragrant and so delicious. Try these vegan too. I used earth balance butter and our flax egg as our replacements. So go ahead and fill up on these buttery, pull-apart dinner rolls. Yum!
- 4 Tbsp. butter, cut into pieces and divided.
- 1 large clove garlic finely grated in garlic press. (optional)
- 1 c. plus 2 Tbsp. water or milk (milk substitute)
- 2 Tbsp. sugar (granular sugar substitute)
- ⅓ c. potato flakes (or ½ c. homemade peeled mashed potatoes and adjust the amount of water in the recipe from 1 c. plus 2 Tbsp. to ½ c. plus 2 Tbsp.)
- 4 large eggs (Egg-free? Substitute with Sandwich Bread Mix egg replacer)
- 1 bag MinusG Sandwich Bread Mix
- ⅓ c. oil
- ½ tsp salt
- Flaky sea salt (optional, for topping rolls)
- ¼ cup cornstarch (or tapioca starch) for rolling dough
Mix the Dough
- Place 2 Tablespoons butter pieces into a medium bowl. Cook the remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, swirling often until butter foams, then turns golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in garlic. Scrape butter mixture and the toasty milk solids at the bottom of the pan into the bowl with the extra butter pieces. Stir until all the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth. *(If using a dairy free substitute, it may not brown. Remove from heat and add garlic and pour into the bowl with the extra butter pieces)
- Butter the sides and bottom of two 9x5 bread pans or two 8" round pans with 2 Tbsp of garlic butter. Set aside. Scoop out ¼ tsp of garlic for the dough. Reserve the remaining 2 Tbsp of garlic butter for brushing over the baked rolls.
- Heat 1 c. plus 2 Tbsp. water if using potato flakes or ½ c. plus 2 Tbsp. water if using mashed potatoes in the microwave about 40 seconds or in a saucepan over low heat. (Water should be warm to the touch, not hot.)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add warm water, sugar, potato flakes (or mashed potatoes), 3 eggs, oil, salt, bread mix and scoop out ¼ tsp garlic from the melted butter. With the beater attachment, mix on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Increase mixer speed to medium speed until soft and smooth, about 4 minutes. Dough will be sticky.
Form the Rolls
- Using a large spoon or cookie scoop, measure a rounded scoop and place into the prepared pan. Rolls should be 2-2½" in diameter.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and place 6 rolls spaced evenly into each pan. (see photo below)
- Beat the remaining egg in another small bowl until no streaks remain. Brush the rolls with egg (or flax egg) then sprinkle with flaky sea salt. (Skip to bake & rise instructions.)
Rise & Bake
- Loosely cover pan with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm draft-free spot until doubled in size and touching, about 25-30 minutes.
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 375°.
- Bake rolls 22-25 minutes until they are golden brown. For dairy & egg free rolls bake 5-10 minutes longer and if they are not browned enough, bake under broiler if desired - but watch closely so they do not burn.)
- Loosen rolls and lift onto a cooling rack. Let cool at least another 15 minutes. Pull apart and serve.
To Make Ahead
Dough can be formed one day ahead into rolls in prepared pans and refrigerated (do not rise). To bake, remove from refrigerator and let rise in a warm area before baking; this may take about 30-40 minutes. Bake 375° for 25-27 minutes.
Need Bread Mix?
Rolls placed evenly in the pan. Ready to be covered to rise!
Delicious dinner rolls. Time to serve!
Buttery pull-apart rolls.