In my humble opinion these carrot cupcakes are perfectly moist and bursting with sweet pineapple, carrots, coconut and toasted pecans. Every bite is super soft and topped with a luscious cream cheese frosting! This is truly the best carrot cake cupcakes.Yum yum yum!
You might say “Carrot Cake is too sweet for me”. I used to say the same until I adjusted my recipe. Most of the carrot cakes I remember were overly sweet, and only a few bites were more than I enjoyed. That's why I reduced the amount of sugar in my recipe. Believe me, you’ll enjoy every bite, down to the last crumb!
Gluten-free Carrot Cake Cupcakes
BAKE: 18-20 min | MAKES: 24 cupcakes
For the Cake
- 1 bag MinusG White Cake Mix
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup + 1 Tbsp light oil
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (optional)
- 3 large eggs beaten or egg substitute
- 2 tsp GF vanilla extract (McCormick's )
- 1 cup crushed pineapple drained
- 2 cups grated carrot (heaping)
- (Optional: 1 cup chopped Roasted Pecans or walnuts, coconut and/or ½ cup golden raisins)
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened (Dairy-free "Kite Hill" cream cheese)
- 1 stick butter of choice softened
- 4+ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp GF vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp heavy cream or milk
- PREP: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cupcake pans, lined with parchment paper for easy removal.
- MAKE CAKE Mix: In a large bowl mix together oil, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until combined and smooth. Add beaten eggs, then the vanilla, and mix until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: cake mix, baking powder, and cinnamon. Slowly add the dry mixture into the wet ingredients, stirring just until mixed. Fold in the grated carrots and crushed pineapple and stir until combined. Add nuts, coconut and/or raisins in at this time.
- BAKE: Pour the batter evenly into the prepared lined muffin tins. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cakes comes out clean. Remove pan and let them cool on a wire rack until they reach room temperature.
- MAKE FROSTING: In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer cream together cream cheese, and butter on med-high until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add powdered sugar, cream, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Beat together on low until combined. Increase speed to high for 3 minutes until combined and creamy. Note: If frosting is too thick, you can add in a teaspoon or two of milk. If it is too thin, you can add in more powdered sugar. If it's too sweet, add a pinch of salt.
- FROST: Using a table knife or cake leveler, spread the top with frosting. Decorate the sides and top of the cake with the remaining toasted pecans.
- SERVE: Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes before slicing. This helps the cupcake hold its shape.
Carrot Cake Cupcake Success Tips
- Make it ahead. One of the BEST parts about carrot cake is that it gets better with time, even after 1 full day. The flavors mingle, the moisture prevails, and the cream cheese frosting sets into the layers. It’s so ridiculously good! You can make and frost the cake 1 day in advance. Keep it covered in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature, if desired, before serving.
- Use freshly grated carrots. Grate them yourself with a kitchen aid or food processor.