This simple recipe is such a pretty dessert for Memorial Day or summer barbecues! Although it seems elaborate, a trifle is quick to assemble. Fresh, juicy berries, chocolaty cake, and sweetened whipped cream, add delicious layers of silky indulgence. This is a great dessert to enjoy the summer months.
- - - -
- One bag of The Best Ever Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 egg
- ½ c.milk / milk substitute
- ½ c. hot coffee / water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 lb. mixed berries, such as strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries, in any combination, plus more whole berries for garnish
- ¼ c. superfine sugar
- 1 tsp orange extract
Sweet Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ c. confectioners' sugar
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Prepare MinusG’s The Best Ever Chocolate Cake Mix in a 9” square pan as directed on the bag. Let cool completely.
- If using strawberries, hull and slice them. Place them in a bowl and add the other berries. Add the superfine sugar, orange extract and stir gently to mix. Set aside to soften for at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours.
- Cut the cake into 1-inch cubes and set aside until ready to assemble the trifle. You should have about 6 cups.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Select a glass trifle bowl 9 to 10 inches in diameter and 5 inches deep. Arrange a single layer of the cake cubes in the bottom of the bowl. Spoon one-third of the softened berries over the cake. Repeat the layers twice finishing with whipped cream topping.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours to allow the flavors to marry.
Just before serving, garnish the trifle with whole berries and mint. ~ Enjoy!