Fresh strawberries, lemon zest and a few poppyseeds takes this classic buttermilk pancake to a whole new level of deliciousness. Pour the delectably fragrant batter onto the griddle and you have one amazing batch of pancakes. I like making my strawberry syrup because it's so fresh, and I can control the sweetness. For the finish, top your stack with fresh strawberries and strawberry syrup. These pancakes will have you saying, "Oh. My. So. Good!"
Prep: 10 min. Cook Time: 5 min.
Make: 6-8 pancakes
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and diced
- ¾ c. sugar
- ⅓ c. water
- ½ tsp. GF vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 ½ c. Aunt Katherine's Yummy Pancake & Waffle Mix
- 2 tsp. poppyseeds
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk (or dairy-free buttermilk)
- zest of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg (Egg-free? Omit and add a tablespoon of milk to get the correct consistency)
- 1 cup strawberries diced
- Add diced and hulled strawberries, water, vanilla, and honey to a medium sauce pan and heat over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- With an immersion blender, pulse for 1 minutes. When syrup is smooth with only a few bits of strawberries, let thicken over very ow heat until pancakes are ready.
(A regular blender will work too. Transfer strawberries and pulse for 1 minute.)
- Preheat griddle or nonstick pan over medium-low heat.
- In a large bowl, combine pancake mix, poppyseeds, and soda and whisk together.
- In another bowl, add buttermilk, lemon zest, vanilla and egg and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until fully blended.
- Lightly grease griddle and pour ¼ cup batter onto griddle. When bubbles form, sprinkle with diced strawberries. Flip and cook 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Top pancakes with warm strawberry syrup, fresh strawberries and a dollop of whip cream. Eat. Smile.
Did you make this recipe? We'd love to see your creations. Tag @minusgbaking on Instagram or @MinusGBakingCo on Facebook. Happy baking!