Our mile high Japanese style pancakes are such a fun treat! What sets them apart from a griddle-cake is the light, fluffy, soufflé-like texture. We like to topping these beauties with fresh berries and syrup or lightly buttered and sprinkled with powdered sugar. These are a must try!
Makes 4 pancakes
Prep time: 10 min Cook time 15-20 min.
- 2 eggs yolks
- 1 Tbsp sugar (optional)
- 1/2 c. milk of choice
- 3/4 c MinusG Pancake mix
- 4 egg whites beaten soft peaks.
- Mix together the egg yolks, sugar, milk, and pancake mix in a very large bowl until it is smooth with no large lumps.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form when lifted.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the pancake batter, until just incorporated, making sure not to deflate the batter.
- Grease two 3.5-inch (9 cm) metal ring moulds and set them in the middle of a pan or over the lowest heat possible. If using an electric pan, set temp to 275 degrees.
- Fill the moulds about ¾ of the way full with the batter, then cover the pan and cook for about 10 minutes, until the center of the pancakes are slightly jiggly.
- Release the pancakes from the bottom of the pan with a spatula, then carefully flip them over, making sure not to spill any batter inside.
- Cover and cook for another 5 minutes, then serve with butter, syrup, and berries or a dusting of powdered sugar. Enjoy!