Happy fall, everyone! In honor of the new season I have to share one of my favorite fall dessert recipes. Yep, I’m talking about a good, old-fashioned, deliciously-indulgent, classic pumpkin roll. This gluten-free pumpkin roll recipe is made with our muffin mix which bakes into a delicious pumpkin cake and heavenly cream cheese filling. It’s surprisingly-gluten-free and is so easy to make. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do. Happy fall baking!
Makes 8-10 servings
- ¾ c. MinusG muffin mix
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ¾ tsp. ground allspice
- 4 large eggs, separated
- ⅓ c. granulated sugar
- ⅓ c. packed brown sugar
- ⅔ c. + 2 Tbsp. canned pumpkin puree
- ⅛ tsp. salt
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz cream cheese softened (for dairy-free, see below)
- 6 Tbsp butter softened or substitute
- 1 cup powdered sugar + more to sprinkle on top
- 1 tsp vanilla
Dairy-free Cream Cheese Filling: To offset the tangy flavor, add an additional ¼ cup powdered sugar + ½ tsp salt. If too sweet, sprinkle in a little more salt to off-set the sweet.
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F.
- Line a 15 by 10 by 1-inch jelly roll sheet with parchment paper, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine muffin mix, cinnamon, ginger and allspice into a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks, granulated sugar and brown sugar until very thick. Add the pumpkin to the egg mixture and combine at a low speed until incorporated. Add the muffin mixture and beat on low speed 2 min.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until stiff but not dry. Fold into the cake batter until most of the white streaks are gone.
- Spread batter into the prepared pan and smooth out. (If the parchment paper is sliding around, just sprinkle a few drops of water underneath it, which will help it to stick to the pan.) Bake about 13 to 15 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- While the cake is hot, dust generously with powdered sugar. With the parchment paper, roll the cake up starting at the short end. Set in the refrigerator edge side down to cool completely, for 1 hour.
- While the cake is cooling, whisk cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla in a mixing bowl until smooth. If the filling is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add a half teaspoon or two of water. (The filling consistency should easy to spread, without oozing out of the cake when rolled up.)
- Transfer the cooled cake roll to a flat surface, and carefully unroll it until it is mostly flat. Spread the filling mixture evenly inside cake, leaving a 3/4-inch border on all sides. Re-roll cake, gently peeling away the parchment paper as you roll and discard it.
- Wrap the pumpkin roll in sceran wrap and refrigerate about 2 hours.
- Remove wrapping and transfer roll to a serving dish. Lightly dust the pumpkin roll top with powdered sugar. Slice and serve.
Did you make this recipe? We'd love to see your creations. Tag @minusgbaking on Instagram or @MinusGBakingCo on Facebook. Happy baking!