Happy fall, everyone! In honor of the new season I have to share one of my favorite fall dessert recipes. Yep, I’m talking about a good, old-fashioned, deliciously-indulgent, classic pumpkin roll. This gluten-free pumpkin roll recipe is made with our muffin mix which bakes into a delicious pumpkin cake and heavenly cream cheese filling. It’s surprisingly-gluten-free and is so easy to make. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do. Happy fall baking!
Makes 8-10 servings
- ¾ c. MinusG muffin mix
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ¾ tsp. ground allspice
- 4 large eggs, separated
- ⅓ c. granulated sugar
- ⅓ c. packed brown sugar
- ⅔ c. + 2 Tbsp. canned pumpkin puree
- ⅛ tsp. salt
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz cream cheese softened (for dairy-free, see below)
- 6 Tbsp butter softened or substitute
- 1 cup powdered sugar + more to sprinkle on top
- 1 tsp vanilla
Dairy-free Cream Cheese Filling: To offset the tangy flavor, add an additional ¼ cup powdered sugar + ½ tsp salt. If too sweet, sprinkle in a little more salt to off-set the sweet.
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F.
- Line a 15 by 10 by 1-inch jelly roll sheet with parchment paper. Spray the parchment with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine muffin mix, cinnamon, ginger and allspice into a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks, granulated sugar and brown sugar until very thick. Add the pumpkin to the egg mixture and combine at a low speed until incorporated. Add the dry ingredients and beat at a low speed until mixed.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until stiff but not dry. Fold into the cake batter, stirring with a spatula, until most of the white streaks are gone.
- Spread the batter onto the prepared pan and smooth out. (If the parchment paper is sliding around, just sprinkle a few drops of water underneath it, which will help it to stick to the pan.) Bake about 13 to 15 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- While the cake is hot, dust generously with powdered sugar. Loosen the edges and remove from the pan. With the parchment paper, roll the cake up starting at the short end. Set in the refrigerator edge side down to cool completely, for 1 hour.
- While the cake is cooling, whisk together cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until smooth. If the filling is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add a half teaspoon or two of water. (You want a medium consistency so that the filling is easy to spread, but not too warm or thin that it will ooze out of the cake when you’re rolling it up.)
- Transfer the cooled cake roll to a flat surface, and carefully unroll it until it is mostly flat. Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over cake, leaving a 3/4-inch border on all sides. Then carefully re-roll the cake, gently peeling away the parchment paper as you roll until you can completely remove and discard it.
- Tightly wrap the pumpkin roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate about 2 hours.
- Remove and unwrap the pumpkin roll and transfer it to your serving dish. Lightly dust the pumpkin roll on all sides with powdered sugar, if you would like. Then slice and serve.
Did you make this recipe? Use hashtag #minusg to share your photos. We'd love to see your creations. And be sure to tag @minusgbaking on Instagram. Happy baking!