Breakfast strata is a cool weather favorite. The key to this dish is letting it sit overnight. Let's get started...
Makes 6 servings.
- 6 slices bacon
- 4 green onions chopped
- ½ pt cherry tomatoes sliced
- 6 slices MinusG Sandwich Bread Mix cubed
- 1 ½ c. cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- ¾ c. milk
- 1 ½ tsp spicy brown mustard
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Grease an 8x8-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Drain bacon on paper towels; set aside.
- Add onions to the drippings; cook and stir 5 minutes or until onions are crisp-tender.
- Crumble bacon in a bowl. Add tomatoes, and onions to the bacon bowl and stir together.
- Layer half of the bread, half of the bacon and vegetables, and ¾ c. shredded cheese in prepared dish. Repeat layers.
- Beat together eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper in a medium bowl with a wire whisk until well blended.
- Pour evenly over the ingredients in the dish, gently pressing the bread into the egg mixture and top with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into 6 pieces or spoon to serve.
- To bake the same day, refrigerate for 30-40 minutes so the bread can absorb the egg mixture. Then heat oven, bake and enjoy!