Did someone say P-A-R-T-Y? Get ready to score with these homemade soft bite-sized pretzels. These gluten-free pretzel bites are chewy, buttery and so pop-able, they make the ultimate comfort snack. You'll want to make sure to add this recipe to your collection of gluten-free appetizers. They'll be gone in no time.
Makes 50-60 servings.
Prep time: 25 min, Bake time: 12-14 min.
- ½ c. + 2 tsp warm water (heated 100-110˚F)
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 egg or substitute
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 bag of MinusG Artisan Pizza Mix or
- 2 cups + 3 Tbsp of MinusG Artisan Pizza Mix family size
- ¼ c. tapioca starch (for rolling out)
- 1 egg (whipped for brushing on top)
- Egg-free? Use oil or DF butter
- 1 Tbsp water
- 6 cups water
- ½ c. baking soda
- coarse pretzel salt or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons MinusG Pie Crust Mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Heat water in the microwave for 25-30 seconds. (The water should be warm, registering between 100-110˚F. Test water temp with your finger. If it's too hot for your finger allow to cool.)
- Add warmed water, oil, egg, baking powder, and pizza crust mix into a stand mixing bowl.
- Using the paddle, combine on low speed, then increase and beat 2-3 minutes.
- Lay two 15-inch long pieces of plastic wrap on your work surface, slightly overlapping, and sprinkle lightly with tapioca starch.
- Transfer the dough to the plastic wrap. Divide the dough into 3 equal sections. Dust with tapioca as needed to keep the dough from being sticky. Roll each section into 17"-20" ropes. Cut each rope into 17-20, then cut into 3/4" pieces.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Fill a large sauce pan with 6 cups of water and baking soda and bring to a boil.
Drop 8-10 pretzel bites into the water at a time making sure not to over crowd. Cook for 30 seconds then flip for another 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Make sure the bites aren't touching.
Combine the egg and water and whisk until combined.
Brush egg wash over each pretzel bite.
Sprinkle with pretzel salt or sea salt and bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from the oven and allow them to cool for a couple of minutes on the pan.
Serve with this easy to make cheese sauce or your favorite mustard. Enjoy!
Easy Cheese Sauce
Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
Add in flour and whisk until combined. Continue to whisk for 1 minute.
Slowly pour in the milk while whisking continuously until thickened, 2-3 minutes.
Take off of the heat and stir in cheese.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Did you make this recipe? Use hashtag #minusg to share your photos. We'd love to see your creations. And be sure to tag @minusgbaking on Instagram. Happy baking!