Spinach Bacon Gruyère Quiche
For the Cream Cheese Crust
- 1 ½ c. MinusG Pie Crust Mix for 1 pie crust.
- ½ c. + 2 tbsp butter softened
- 4oz cream cheese room temp (or 5-6 tbsp water)
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 thick-cut bacon slices, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 6 c. baby spinach
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ c. milk or half n half
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- ½ c. shredded Gruyère (Swiss) cheese
Making Pie Crust
- In a food processor, combine the flour and salt then pulse briefly to mix.
- Add the butter and cream cheese and pulse until the mixture just starts to come together.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface.
- Heat oven to 400°F. On a floured work surface, roll out the dough into a 12-inch round.
- Fit into a 9-inch round tart pan and trim the dough, cutting the overhang.
- Use a fork to create a sturdy yet decorative edge, then pierce the dough all over with a fork.
- Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Bake the pastry shell until the edges are lightly golden, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F.
Make Quiche filling
- In a fry pan over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Pour off all but 1 tbsp of bacon fat, then add the shallot and cook just until softened, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the spinach mixture to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle bacon and the cheese in the pastry shell. Pour in the spinach and shallot mixture.
- Bake until the filling is set and the crust is golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool briefly.
- Cut the quiche into wedges and serve warm. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Use hashtag #minusg to share your photos. We'd love to see your creations. And be sure to tag @minusgbaking on Instagram. Happy baking!