Wake up to the aroma of these maple pecan sticky buns. Made with our pizza crust mix, these soft and fluffy, homemade sweet rolls are swirled with cinnamon sugar and then baked in a maple pecan glaze for breakfast perfection!
As kids, my siblings and I collected sap during the early spring, when the temps fluctuated. With our recent winter weather, who knows, the sap might be running sooner than we think. My mom made delicious homemade maple syrup every year. And for those like me who love maple, these maple pecan buns are pure bliss!
Sticky buns are easy to make ahead. Simply prepare the dough, fill and roll into buns. Place into prepared pan, cover and set it into the refrigerator to rise overnight. Then next morning, set rolls on counter to bring to room temp (about 40min) then bake. I hear the buzzer now, Oh, I can't wait!
Maple Pecan Sticky Buns
Makes 8 servings.
Prep time: 25 min, Rise time: 30 min. Bake time: 30 min.
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp soft butter or butter substitute
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ c. + 2 tsp whole milk
- 2 cups + 3 Tbsp MinusG Artisan Pizza Mix
- ½ cup tapioca starch (for pressing out).
Cinnamon Sugar Filling
- ⅓ c. brown sugar (granulated sugar works too)
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon (I use pensey's vietnamese ground cinnamon)
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- ¼ c. heavy whipping cream (optional)
Maple Pecan Glaze
- 1 c. coarsely chopped pecans
- ½ c. whole milk or heavy cream
(Vegan; use reg.coconut milk)
- ⅔ c. maple syrup
- ¼ c + 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp. butter or DF butter substitute.
- 2 tsp GF vanilla extract (I use McCormick's pure vanilla extract)
Prepare Sweet Dough
- Grease a 8" round or square cake pan or line with parchment paper and set aside
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, add the granulated sugar, butter, eggs, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Using the flat paddle, combine on low speed.
- Add the warm milk with the 2 cups + 3 Tbsp pizza mix alternating until the ingredients come together. (The milk should be just warm, registering between 100-110˚F. If it is hotter, allow to cool slightly.)
- Refrigerate the remaining Pizza Crust Mix for another batch of Maple Pecan Sticky Buns or for one 12-inch Pan Pizza.
Make Maple Pecan Glaze
- Coarsely chop pecans and spread over the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine, milk or cream, maple syrup, butter, and brown sugar. Melt butter and sugar completely over medium heat. Let glaze come to a boil, about 8 minutes, while stirring. Let boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and pour glaze over pecans and set aside.
Assemble Sticky Buns and Bake
- Lay 2 pieces of plastic wrap on a flat surface. (The plastic wrap is necessary to roll dough)
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of tapioca starch into the center.
- Transfer the dough onto the tapioca starch.
- Sprinkle the top of dough with more tapioca starch. (Dough will be sticky. The tapioca helps to keep the dough from sticking to your hands.
- Press dough into a 10 x 10 inch square.
- Brush 2 tbsp of melted butter on the dough, covering the surface.
- In a bowl, combine sugar with cinnamon.
- Sprinkle evenly with the cinnamon sugar mix. Starting at the edge closest to you, lift the plastic wrap and turn the edge of the dough onto itself.
- Continue lifting the plastic wrap to roll up the dough, forming a log by rolling the rectangle away from you. (If dough sticks to the plastic wrap, use a knife or a metal cake spatula and gently separate dough from wrap.)
- Press seam down.
- Brush off extra tapioca starch and even the ends of the log.
- Cut the log in half, then divide each half into 4 evenly sized pieces.
- Arrange the slices, cut side down, in the prepared pan.
- Spoon 1 tsp of heavy cream on top of the swirled rolls. (The cream will make the cinnamon sugar center creamy and not grainy)
- Cover rolls with plastic wrap or a towel.
- Let rise about 30 min in an 150°F oven.
- Preheat an oven to 350°F.
- Bake until the rolls are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a roll comes out clean, 25 - 30 minutes.
- Let cool in pan about 5 minutes.
- Flip pan over to turn buns out onto a large serving platter. Pull the rolls apart and serve warm. Share. Eat. Smile.
Refrigerate the remaining Pizza Crust Mix for another batch of cinnamon rolls or for one 12-inch pan pizza. (Remember, when making the 12-inch pan pizza, to cut the ingredients in half.) See the recipe below.
1 12-inch Pan Pizza
- 2 cups + 3 Tbsp MinusG Artisan Pizza Mix (the remaining pizza mix)
- ½ cup + 2 tsp warmed water
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup tapioca starch (for pressing out).
- In a electric mixing bowl, combine the ingredients together. (The water should be just warm, registering between 100-110˚F. If it is hotter, allow to cool slightly.)
- Follow the pizza pan or pizza stone instructions on the bag and bake.
- Eat. Enjoy.
Did you make this recipe? Use hashtag #minusg to share your photos. We'd love to see your creations. And be sure to tag @minusgbaking on Instagram. Happy baking!