One of my favorite cookies are snowballs, also known as Russian Teacakes. These buttery, shortbread cookies, filled with nuts* and rolled in powdered sugar, are a classic Christmas favorite. They're simple, small yet undeniably good! I can't only just eat one. It's the crumbly yet soft center which melts in your mouth that makes them so good!
It's an uncomplicated blend of butter, powdered sugar, flour mix, pinch of salt, dash of vanilla extract and a good helping of chopped nuts. I like mine best with pecans, but you can certainly use your favorite nut. This is a no fail recipe and will give you Christmas cookie perfection!
*Baker's note: If you're nut free, leave the nuts out altogether.
MinusG's Russian Teacake Recipe
Yield: 3 dozen.
- 2 cups MinusG Perfect Pie Crust Mix
- 1 cup butter softened or butter substitute
- ½ cup 10x ~ powdered sugar
- 2 tsp GF vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans finely chopped (your favorite nut chopped)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 10x ~ powdered sugar (to roll cookies in)
- Combine Pie Crust Flour, salt and pecans together.
- Add vanilla into butter/sugar mixture and slowly add nut and flour blend. Mix until fully combined.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll cookies into about 1” balls and place on parchment paper 1” apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. You do not want them to brown.
- Let cookies cool about 4 min. then roll cookies in powdered sugar.
- Cool completely and roll in powdered sugar once more.
- Store in an airtight container in the freezer or in a cool area.
*Cookies will become more flavorful the longer they're stored. They will keep for weeks. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Use hashtag #minusg to share your photos. We'd love to see your creations. And be sure to tag @minusgbaking on Instagram. Happy baking!