Mmm… Chocolate Donuts! These are the most amazing gluten-free chocolate donuts. Moist, fluffy, full of chocolate, and covered in a thick chocolate glaze, they are sure to cure any chocoholic craving. Paired with a glass of milk, these make the perfect breakfast treat or a nice afternoon snack.
Prep: 15 min. Bake: 18 min. Makes: 1 dozen donuts
- 7 Tbsp. butter, melted or dairy-free butter
- ⅔ c. sugar or sugar substitute
1 large egg (or egg substitute of 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tablespoon water and 1 tablespoon of vinegar)
- ⅔ c. buttermilk (Make buttermilk by adding ½ tsp. vinegar to milk of your choice - let sit 5 minutes)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ⅔ c. cocoa powder
- 1 ½ c. Donut Mix
Chocolate Glaze Topping
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips or chunks
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. butter, cubed
- 2 Tablespoons corn syrup or honey
You will need a donut or muffin pan.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease donut or muffin pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl melt butter. Add sugar, egg and vanilla and whisk together. Pour buttermilk over top.
- Measure ⅔ c. cocoa and 1½ cup donut mix into the milk & egg mixture. Stir together with a fork until smooth. The batter will become thicker than the regular donut batter but smooth.
- Spoon donut batter into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip or into a ziplock baggie with the tip cut off. Pipe batter into the donut ring until full. If using the muffin pan, fill each well ½ full.
- Line a separate baking pan with parchment paper and place a cooling rack on top.
- Heat oven to 350ºF and back for 18 minutes.
- Cool donuts slightly on cooling rack before dipping in chocolate glaze.
Make Chocolate Glaze:
- While donuts are baking, melt chocolate over a double boiler, or slowly heat in the microwave; 30 second intervals, stirring between each 30 seconds. Be sure not to overheat.
- Add butter and stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat (if using a double boiler) and whisk in the corn syrup or honey until smooth and glossy.
- Dip each donut into the chocolate glaze. Set on cooling rack to allow chocolate glaze to set up. Add decorative sprinkles if desired.
- Donuts the next day, microwave 5 seconds to soften.