Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 2 sticks butter softened (See dairy-free recipe below)
- 16 oz. chocolate chopped/chips
- Place the chopped chocolate or chips into a microwave-safe bowl. Melt chocolate in the microwave on full power in 30 second increments, stirring after each until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time and beat until creamy and all sugar lumps have disappeared. Add in the cooled chocolate and continue mixing for 2 minutes until fully blended. Frosting should be fluffy and chocolatey. Yum!
Dairy-free Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 6 tablespoons COLD dairy-free butter
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Place water in a microwave safe bowl and heat until it just begins to boil, approximately 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add cocoa powder to hot water
- Place COLD dairy-free butter in large bowl. Use a mixer and mix for 1 – 2 minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add the vanilla to the butter. Mix well.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar to the butter and mix well.
- Add the cocoa mixture to the bowl and mix well.
- Slowly add the remaining powdered sugar until you reach the desired consistency.
- Whip the frosting mixture for 1 more minute.
- Decorate your cake or cupcakes.
Did you make this recipe? Use hashtag #minusg to share your photos. We'd love to see your creations. And be sure to tag @minusgbaking on Instagram. Happy baking!