Scones are a special treat! In this recipe, I use a sweet dough with the addition of blueberries and top it off with a glaze. They are sweet with crumbly edges, packed with juicy blueberries, filled with fresh lemon zest and topped with a delightful lemony icing. Made with our Pie Crust Mix, you can substitute the blueberries with any another fruit. These scones bake up with soft centers that are moist and have a crunchy golden top. Make them allergy-friendly too. Bon Appétit!
Gluten-free Blueberry Lemon Scones
PREP: 30 minutes | BAKE: 20-25 minutes | Makes 8 Scones
For the Scones
- 2 cups Pie Crust Mix, (plus more for hands and work surface)
- 6 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon zest, (about 1 lemon)
- 2 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 stick butter, frozen or 1 stick Earth Balance
- ¾ c. heavy cream or coconut whole milk (plus 2 tbsp. for brushing)
- 1 ½ tsp. GF pure vanilla extract
- 1 heaping c. blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- coarse sugar (optional)
For the Lemon Icing
- 1 c. confectioner's sugar
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, (about 1 Lemon)
- PREP: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- MIX: Whisk Pie Crust Mix, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Grate the frozen butter using a box grater. Add it to the pie crust mixture and cut butter in with a pastry cutter until the mixture comes together in pea-sized crumbs (If you don't have a pastry cutter, you can use two forks or your fingers). Place in the refrigerator or freezer while you mix the wet ingredients. Whisk ¾ cup heavy cream and vanilla extract together in a small bowl. Drizzle over the flour mixture, add the blueberries, then mix together until everything appears moistened.
- MAKE: Prepare work surface with plastic wrap for easy clean up. Scrape dough onto the plastic wrap surface and with floured hands, work dough into a ball. If it’s too sticky, add a little more pie mix. Press into an 8-inch disc and, with a sharp knife or bench scraper, cut into 8 wedges. Brush scones with remaining heavy cream and for extra crunch, sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- BAKE: Place scones on lined baking sheet 2-3 inches apart and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes. (Making with Earth Balance, refrigerate at least 45 minutes.) Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and lightly browned on top. Remove from the oven and let cool for a 5-8 minutes before topping with lemon icing.
- TOP: Whisk the icing ingredients together. Drizzle over warm scones.
How to Make Scones Ahead:
- Prepare scones through step 3. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Continue with the recipe the following day.
Freeze Before Baking
- Freeze scone dough wedges on a plate or baking sheet for 1 hour. (Pro-tip: Once relatively frozen, you can layer them in a freezer-friendly bag or container.)
- Bake from frozen, adding a few minutes to the bake time, or thaw overnight, then bake as directed.