Scones are a special treat! In this recipe, I use a sweet dough with the addition of blueberries and top it off with a glaze. They are sweet with crumbly edges, packed with juicy blueberries, filled with fresh lemon zest and topped with a delightful lemon icing. Made with our Pie Crust Mix, you can substitute the blueberries with any another fruit. These scones bake up with soft centers that are moist and have a crunchy golden top. Make them allergy-friendly too. Bon Appétit!
Blueberry Lemon Glazed Scones
- 2 cups pie crust mix, (plus more for hands and work surface)
- 6 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon zest, (about 1 lemon)
- 2 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 stick butter, frozen / 1 stick Earth Balance
- ¾ c. heavy cream / coconut whole milk (plus 2 tbsp. for brushing)
- 1 ½ tsp. GF pure vanilla extract
- 1 heaping c. blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- coarse sugar (optional)
- 1 c. confectioner's sugar
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, (about 1 Lemon)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk pie crust mix, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Grate the frozen butter using a box grater. Add it to the pie crust mixture and cut butter in with a pastry cutter, two forks, or your fingers until the mixture comes together in pea-sized crumbs. Place in the refrigerator or freezer as you mix the wet ingredients together.
- Whisk ¾ cup heavy cream and vanilla extract together in a small bowl. Drizzle over the flour mixture, add the blueberries, then mix together until everything appears moistened.
- Prepare work surface with plastic wrap for easy clean up. Scrape dough onto the plastic wrap surface and with floured hands, work dough into a ball. If it’s too sticky, add a little more pie mix. Press into an 8-inch disc and, with a sharp knife or bench scraper, cut into 8 wedges.
- Brush scones with remaining heavy cream and for extra crunch, sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Place scones on lined baking sheet 2-3 inches apart and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes. (Making with Earth Balance, refrigerate at least 45 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and lightly browned on top. Remove from the oven and let cool for a 5-8 minutes before topping with lemon icing.
- Whisk the icing ingredients together. Drizzle over warm scones.
Make Scones Ahead:
- Overnight Instructions: Prepare scones through step 5. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Continue with the recipe the following day.
- Freeze Before Baking: Freeze scone dough wedges on a plate or baking sheet for 1 hour. Once relatively frozen, you can layer them in a freezer-friendly bag or container. Bake from frozen, adding a few minutes to the bake time. Or thaw overnight, then bake as directed.
Did you make this recipe? Use hashtag #minusg to share your photos. We'd love to see your creations. And be sure to tag @minusgbaking on Instagram. Happy baking!