Apples + cinnamon = LOVE! Apples baked in a gooey cinnamon, brown sugar, and buttery coating is what I'm talking about! This Apple Fritter Monkey Bread has a tender yet a crunchy crust, that is layered with apples and walnuts, covered in cinnamon sugar and then drizzled with a vanilla cream glaze. It's a decadent and delicious breakfast treat that is sweetly balanced. It's prefect for a busy household of loved ones this holiday season.
Makes 1 bundt pan
(For single pizza crust mix, cut recipe in half. Bake in 8x4 loaf pan or jumbo muffin tin)
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp. heavy cream or milk
- ½ tsp. GF vanilla extract (McCormick's is the easiest to find)
Make the dough:
- Line a freezer size sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, add pizza mix, warm water, garlic oil, and eggs. Mix together on low speed to incorporate the pizza mix with the wet ingredient. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat on med-high speed for 4 minutes.
- Using a small cookie scoop, drop by spoonful onto sheet pan in rows.
- Freeze dough balls for 3 hours.
- Lightly prepare a bundt pan with non stick spray.
Make cinnamon-sugar coating
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice and salt and in a separate bowl have the melted butter.
- Remove half of the dough balls from the freezer. Cut the dough balls in half and then half again making 4 pieces from each.
- Sprinkle a light layer of apple and walnuts into the pan.
- Dip each piece of dough into the butter and then roll around and generously coat with the brown sugar mixture. (dough may thaw and become sticky, but it will bake beautifully)
- Place into the bottom of the pan (on top of the apple and walnut pieces) and continue to do this until you have a full layer around the pan.
- Sprinkle in ⅓ of the walnuts and apples on top of the dough layer.
- Continue cutting the last of the dough balls, dipping, coating and layering until all your ingredients are used up. (Option: Cover and refrigerate overnight)
- Heat oven to warm. Set bundt pan in the oven to rise, about 45 minutes.
Rise, bake and serve
- Heat oven to 350°. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until your inner layer of biscuit pieces is cooked.
- Let sit for 10 minutes and then flip upside onto a serving plate.
- While cooling, mix together the powdered sugar, vanilla and cream in a small bowl. Drizzle over the top of your Monkey Bread.
- Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe? We'd love to see your creations. Tag @minusgbaking on Instagram or @MinusGBakingCo on Facebook. Happy baking!