Strawberries are a cheery sign of summertime and are the perfect choice to layer into this easy and delicious treat. When you take juicy strawberries, simply bathed in fresh whipping cream and mascarpone cheese, then toss them on top of this rum brushed sweet cake, it's a taste of heaven!
Makes 6 pint jars /12 dessert bowl / 1 large clear glass bowl.
Prep time: 50 min / Bake time: 20 min
- 3 qt. strawberries, hulled and cut lengthwise into ¼" slices.
- 6 Tbsp. plus ¾ c. sugar
- 3 c. heavy cream or dairy Free whipped cream
- 1 c. mascarpone cheese - room temp. or Kite Hill - cream cheese
- 5 Tbsp. butter softened/ earth balance butter stick softened
- 2 egg
- For egg-free use 2 tsp baking powder + 1 Tbsp vinegar + 1 Tbsp water per egg.
- 2 tsp. GF vanilla extract
- 1 c. + 2 Tbsp. MinusG Simply Scrumptious Muffin Mix
- ½ c. buttermilk / non dairy milk
- (Make buttermilk by adding ½ tsp vinegar to milk - let sit 5 minutes)
- 2 Tsp. baking powder
- 2 oz Meyer's dark rum
- In a bowl, combine the sliced strawberries and 2 Tbs. of sugar. Toss to mix.
- In an electric mixing bowl, combine the cream and ¼ c. of sugar. Beat until soft peaks form, then beat in the mascarpone cheese and vanilla until smooth. (Do not over beat) Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Grease 2 8-inch round cake pans. Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a stand mixer, cream together butter and remaining ¾ c. sugar. Add egg and vanilla and beat together. Scrape down sides of the bowl and beat again.
- In a separate bowl, mix together muffin mix with baking powder.
- Add muffin mix and buttermilk, alternating each, ending with buttermilk.
- Beat together until fully combined.
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans.
- Bake 18-22 min. It's finished when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove cakes and set on a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Brush each cake with 1 oz. of the rum.
- Fill a pastry bag with a wide decorative tip and fill the bag with the mascarpone cream.
- Cut cake into 1" cubes
- Assemble into 6 glass jar, or a large clear bowl.
Assemble the Trifle
- In the glass jars, alternate layers of sliced strawberries, mascarpone cream and cubed cakes. Garnish with the mascarpone cream and whole strawberries. Delicious!