Strawberries are a cheery sign of summertime and are the perfect choice for this easy and delicious trifle. Bathed in fresh whipping cream, mascarpone cheese and served with a sweet rum cake. Now this is a taste of heaven!
Makes: 12 dessert cups or 1 large glass bowl.
Prep time: 50 min / Bake time: 20 min
Strawberry & Mascarpone Filling
- 3 qt. strawberries, hulled and cut lengthwise into ¼" slices.
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 3 c. heavy cream or dairy Free whipped cream
- 1 tsp GF vanilla extract
- 1 c. mascarpone cheese - room temp. or Kite Hill - cream cheese
For the Cake
- 1 bag MinusG White Cake Mix
- 1½ c. sugar or granular substitute
- ⅔ c. oil
- 4 eggs
- For egg-free use 2 tsp baking powder + 1 Tbsp vinegar + 1 Tbsp water per egg.
- 4 tsp. GF vanilla extract
- 1 c. buttermilk / non dairy milk
- (Make buttermilk by adding 1 tsp vinegar to milk - let sit 5 minutes)
- 4 oz Meyer's dark rum (optional topping)
Strawberry & Macarpone Filling
- In a bowl, combine the sliced strawberries and 2 Tbs. of sugar. Toss to mix. Cover and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the cream and 4 Tbs. of the sugar and vanilla. Using an electric beater, whisk to soft peaks. Lightly whip in the mascarpone cheese until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Make the Cake
- Grease 2 8-inch round cake pans. Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a stand mixer, add cake mix, sugar oil, eggs, vanilla and buttermilk and beat together. Scrape down sides of the bowl and beat again.
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans.
- Bake 35-40 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool cakes completely on a wire rack.
- OPTIONAL: Brush each cake with 2 oz. of rum.
- Cut cakes into 1" cubes
- Fit a pastry bag with a wide decorative tip and fill with the mascarpone cream.
- Set aside 1½ c. strawberries for topping.
- Assemble into dessert cups, glass jar, or a large clear bowl by alternating layers of sliced strawberries, mascarpone cream and cubed cakes. Top with cream and remaining strawberries.