Sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb are perfect partners in this double-crusted summer pie. MinusG's Perfect Pie Crust Mix rolls out beautifully and bakes up golden and flaky. This strawberry rhubarb pie is delicious on it's own, but is even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- MinusG Perfect Pie Crust Mix
- Make two 9-inch pie crusts as directed in the link: Pie Crust Recipe. Place one rolled crust into a 9" pie plate and refrigerate. Roll the 2nd crust, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- 3 c. strawberries cut into thick slices (about 1½ quarts)
- 3 c. rhubarb cut into ¾" thickness
- 1 c. sugar
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ c. starch of choice
- 1 egg white (whisk with a few drops of water until foamy)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Prepare two 9-inch MinusG's Perfect Pie Crust Recipe as directed above.
- Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, gently stir together the strawberries, rhubarb, lemon zest, juice and vanilla. In a small bowl, stir together the sugar and starch until free of lumps. Add to the fruit mixture and stir to combine.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator. Brush the pie plate edges with the egg mixture. Spoon the fruit mixture evenly into the plate. Dot with the butter. Place the top crust over the fruit by using the plastic wrap to transfer the rolled dough on top. Use the wrap to center and remove wrap. Trim the excess crust from the edges.
- Edge the crust with a fork by dipping tongs in water and lightly press the edges of the top and bottom crust together to seal. Cut a few vents in the top. Brush the top and edges with the remaining egg white and set the pie on a baking sheet. (For lattice crust, crust into 1/2" thick slices and weave together.)
- Bake until the crust is golden, about 40-45 minutes.
- Transfer the pie to a wire rack and let cool for at least 1 hour before serving. Enjoy with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Did you make this recipe? We'd love to see your creations. Tag @minusgbaking on Instagram or @MinusGBakingCo on Facebook. Happy baking!