Fluffy and moist, these buttery, red velvet cupcakes are full of vanilla flavor with a hint of chocolate goodness. Topped with our cream cheese frosting; it's the perfect compliment to the lightly sweetened red velvet crumb underneath, which is why they're my favorite. The tangy cream cheese frosting puts them over the top! Here's to the Red Velvet Lovers. You're going to love these!
Makes 12 cupcakes
Prep time: 40 min Bake time 20 min.
- 5 Tbsp. butter softened
- ¾ c. sugar granulated (or granulated sugar substitute)
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp. red food coloring (McCormick)
- 1 tsp. GF vanilla extract
- ½ c. buttermilk
- (Make buttermilk by adding ½ tsp vinegar to milk - let sit 5 minutes)
- 1 c. + 2 Tbsp MinusG Simply Scrumptious Muffin Mix
- 1 tsp Vinegar
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz butter softened
- 4 oz cream cheese room temp.
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Grease a muffin tin or line with cupcake liners. Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and beat together. Scrape down sides of the bowl and beat again.
- Add cocoa, red food coloring, and vanilla. Mix together on low speed, scraping the bowl to blend fully with butter mixture.
- Add buttermilk, flour and vinegar, alternating each and ending with buttermilk.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin cups.
- Bake 20 min. It's finished when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes and set on a cooling rack.
Make Cream Cheese Frosting
- Using a stand mixer, beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth, without lumps.
- Add vanilla and beat together.
- Add ½ c. powdered sugar and slowly incorporate. Continue until all powdered sugar is added and combined.
- Whip frosting on high about 5 minutes.
- Decorate cooled cupcakes. Eat. Smile.