Wake up to the aroma of sweet hot cross buns. These gluten-free hot cross buns are as traditional as they come! Made with The Perfect Pie Crust Mix, they're soft and yummy, with juicy raisins and a sweet glaze top, they're perfect for Easter.
Hot Cross Buns Recipe
- 3/4 cup milk or milk substitute, warmed to 110 degrees (about 40 seconds in the microwave.)
- 2 tsp yeast
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup raisins (plus boiling water for soaking)
- 1 egg + egg-yolk
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 3/4 cup MinusG Perfect Pie Crust Mix
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup confectioner sugar
- 3 tsp milk
For the buns:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine warm milk , yeast, and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Let sit for 5 to 7 minutes until yeast is fragrant and foamy.
- Add raisins to a heatproof bowl. Add enough boiling water to cover raisins and soak for 5 minutes. Drain well and set aside plump raisins.
- Add remaining 5 tablespoons sugar, egg, egg-yolk, vanilla and oil to mixing bowl. Using the beater, combine until well incorporated.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Perfect Pie Crust Mix, salt, cinnamon.
- With the mixer on low speed, add about 1/2 of the flour mixture. Once incorporated, add remaining flour and raisins and incorporate. Increase speed and mix together. Dough should start to pull away from the sides.
- Set oven to warm.
- Divide dough into 8 equal portions. Working with one piece of dough, roll into balls using tapioca flour to keep the dough from sticking to your fingers.
- Place into a greased 9" round baking pan. Brush tops with oil and set into warm oven for 40 minutes until the balls of dough are touching each other.
- Remove from oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 25 min.
- Let cool to warm.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix powdered sugar and milk. Transfer to a pastry bag or ziplock bag with the corner cut, and pipe a cross on each bun.
- Enjoy these fresh from the oven. Alternatively, reheat or toast room temperature buns. Bread will keep in a airtight container up to 3 days.