Soft, sweet, citrus filled rolls with lemon and vanilla sugar topped with lemon cream cheese icing.
PREP: 1.30 min | BAKE: 25-30 min | MAKES: 9 rolls
For the Sweet Dough
- 1 bag MinusG Cinnamon Roll Mix
- ¾ c.milk / non dairy milk (110°F)
- 2 eggs
- For egg-free substitute with "Simply Eggless" or "Just Egg"
- 3 Tbsp butter of choice, soft
- 3 Tbsp granular sugar or sub
- ¼ c. starch to press out dough
Sweet Lemon Filling
- 3 Tbsp butter of choice, melted
- 1⁄2 c sugar or sugar substitute
- zest of 3 lemons (about 3 Tbsp)
- 1 tsp. GF vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp. heavy cream of choice
Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ lb cream cheese softened or dairy-free substitute
- 4 Tbsp. butter of choice, soft
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest (sprinkle on top)
PREP: Grease a 9" pan. Heat milk 40 seconds in microwave. Milk should be hot to the touch but not burning. This will activate the yeast.
MIX: In a stand mixing bowl add cinnamon roll mix, heated milk, eggs, butter, sugar. Blend with paddle on low. Scrape bowl and beat 2 min. med-high. Lay 2 pieces of saran on a flat surface, sprinkle with starch. Turn out dough onto prepared surface. Using the starch press into 9"x 12" rectangle.
ASSEMBLE: Now it’s time to add the delicious filling! Combine sugar, lemon, vanilla and press the sugar into the lemon zest and set aside. The suger crushes the zest and enhances the lemon flavoring. Spread the melted butter on dough then sprinkle with lemon sugar mix. Here is where the magic of the saran comes in! Lifting the long side of the saran, gently lift and roll dough into a log (see cinnamon roll video). When almost complete, lift saran from the opposite side to pull the remainder up. Press the seam to secure it and roll the log backward until the seam is on the bottom. Cut the log per into individual rolls per instructions on the bag and as seen in the video. Sprinkle knife with starch after each cut to keep it from sticking. Lay each roll in the prepared 9" baking pan, spiral-side face up. Cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm place (in the microwave) for 1 hour.
BAKE: Heat oven to 375°. Bake 25-30 minutes.
PREPARE FROSTING: Mix room temp cream cheese of choice, butter, lemon juice, powdered sugar and lemon zest. Cover and set aside. Remove rolls from oven, and spoon frosting over hot sweet rolls. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.