Herbed Gluten-Free Stuffing
This stuffing recipe is a must-have on our Thanksgiving table. I've modified the recipe to work with MinusG's Sandwich Bread Mix and it comes out beautiful every time. The cooked sausage adds much more flavor than most traditional recipes and you'll use minimal salt because of it. If you're looking for egg- and dairy-free, I've included allergy-friendly options in the recipe. Happy Thanksgiving!
- 1 bag MinusG Sandwich Bread Mix (made ahead 1-2 days)
- 1 lb GF pork sausage (Bob Evan’s GF hot sausage) - optional
- 2 c. celery
- 4 onions
- 2 stick butter (for dairy-free, substitute with Earth Balance Buttery Spread)
- salt & pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp ea or more if omitting sausage)
- dash of sage ground
- pinch of rosemary leaves (ground with a mortar & pestle)
- 4-5 eggs (For egg-free, substitute with flax or chia eggs)
- Make sandwich bread as directed on the bag. (made ahead 1-2 days)
- Grease a 13”x9” baking pan. Set aside.
- Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until fully cooked through. Scrape into a large bowl and set aside. Reserve skillet.
- Chop celery and onions into large chunks. Place in a food processor and pulse into chopped-size pieces. Using the same skillet melt butter with celery and onions. Cook about 3-5 minutes, lightly sautéed.
- Meanwhile slice 3/4 of bread into 1” cubed pieces. Add bread cubes, sage, ground rosemary, and sautéed celery and onion mix to the sausage. With a large spoon fold stuffing to mix together. Season with salt & pepper to taste, about 1/2 tsp each or to taste.
- Whisk eggs together and pour over the stuffing. Using your hands, reach down the sides of the bowl and scoop up and turn stuffing over. The bread should feel moist. If it's dry add another egg. Repeat until fully incorporated.
- Press stuffing into the prepared baking pan.
- Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 375°.
- Bake 35–45 minutes. Let cool about 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Make Ahead: Stuffing can mixed 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate. Let it warm to room temperature, about 1 hour then bake.
Did you make this recipe? We'd love to see your creations. Tag @minusgbaking on Instagram or @MinusGBakingCo on Facebook. Happy baking!