Fluffy and moist, this is an outstanding cake! Warning, only make if you love delicious white cake. Seriously, it's layered with strawberry preserves and topped with a white chocolate buttercream. And this white chocolate buttercream frosting makes the perfect pairing!
Makes 2 8" rounds or 12 cupcakes
Prep time: 40 min / Bake time: 20 min
- 5 Tbsp. butter softened/ earth balance butter stick softened
- ¾ c. sugar granulated (or granulated sugar substitute)
- 2 egg
- For egg-free use 2 tsp baking powder + 1 Tbsp vinegar + 1 Tbsp water per egg.
- 2 tsp. GF vanilla extract
- ½ c. buttermilk / non dairy substitute
- (Make buttermilk by adding ½ tsp vinegar to milk - let sit 5 minutes)
- 1 c. + 2 Tbsp. MinusG Simply Scrumptious Muffin Mix
- 1½ Tsp. baking powder
White Chocolate Buttercream
- 1 ½ sticks butter softened/ earth balance
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 12 oz. white chocolate chopped/chips
- 1 c. strawberry jam
- Grease 2 8-inch round cake pans. Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and beat together. Scrape down sides of the bowl and beat again.
- In a separate bowl, mix together muffin mix with baking powder.
- Add buttermilk, and muffin mix blend, alternating each, ending with buttermilk.
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans.
- Bake 20-25 min. It's finished when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove cakes and set on a cooling rack.
- Turn out when cooled.
Make White Chocolate Frosting
- Place the chopped white chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl. Melt the white chocolate in the microwave on full power in 30 second increments, stirring after each until the white chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside. Let cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter and powdered sugar until smooth and creamy. Add in the cooled white chocolate and continue mixing for 2 minutes until creamy.
Place one of the cakes onto a cake platter. Spread the 1 cup of strawberry jam on top of the cake. Top with approximately 1 1/2 cups of frosting. Place the remaining cake on top and coat the cake with the remaining frosting. Eat. Smile.
Did you make this recipe? Use hashtag #minusg to share your photos. We'd love to see your creations. And be sure to tag @minusgbaking on Instagram. Happy baking!