Sports season is snack season, and finger food is the name of the game. Whether it's a quiet night with friends or a big crowd to watch the game, calzones are the perfect finger food.
Calzones can be made with any combination of veggies, meat and cheese. Our recipe features roasted peppers and onions with pepperoni and cheese. Enjoy and have fun in the making!
Makes 4, 6" calzones
Prep time: 35 min. Bake time: 40 min.
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup pepperoni
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- pizza sauce for dipping
- 1 bag Artisan Pizza Crust Mix
- 1 c. + 1 Tbsp. warmed water
- 4 eggs
- ¼ c. sunflower oil or a mild flavor oil
- Any starch for pressing out dough
Roasted Pepper and onions
- Preheat oven to 500° F.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- Slice peppers and onions, Julian style, into long thin strips. In a bowl, toss the peppers and onion, drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Spread pepper and onion mix on the lined foil sheet.
- Roast in hot oven for 20 min or until starting to caramelize. Remove and cool.
Prepare pizza dough:
- Empty pizza mix into a stand mixer.
- Heat water, to 110° and test with your finger. (If it burns your finger it's too hot.)
- Add warmed water, and oil to the pizza mix and blend together on low. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again on mid- high 2-3 minutes.
- Grease 4 pieces of parchment paper with cooking spray.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Remove dough and divide into 4 equal parts, placing onto the prepared parchment paper.
- Sprinkle dough with starch and press into a 6" circle.
- Place peppers and onions, pepperoni and cheese on half of the pizza round.
- Using the parchment paper, fold the un-topped dough over the toppings.
- Press the dough together lightly to seal in the toppings.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool. Slice and serve warm with pizza sauce. Enjoy!
Calzone Pizza Rounds Made Ahead: Make pizza dough rounds and freeze on parchment paper. Once frozen, transfer to freezer bags for later. Simply remove frozen pizza rounds, and parchment paper on individual pizza pans or cookie sheets. Let dough thaw on the parchment paper about 20 minutes. Add topping, fold, seal and bake.
Did you make this recipe? Use hashtag #minusg to share your photos. We'd love to see your creations. And be sure to tag @minusgbaking on Instagram. Happy baking!