In my humble opinion these carrot cupcakes are perfectly moist, soft, and delicious, made with fresh carrots, toasted pecans, and topped with a luscious cream cheese frosting! Yum yum yum!
You might say “Carrot Cake is too sweet for me”. I used to say the same until I adjusted my recipe. Most of the carrot cakes I remember were overly sweet, and only a few bites were more than I enjoyed. That's why I reduced the amount of sugar in my recipe. Believe me, you’ll enjoy every bite, down to the last crumb!
Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Makes 12 Cupcakes or one 9" Cake. See Layered Cake recipe below.
- 1½ cup MinusG’s Simply Scrumptious Mix
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon (I use Penzeys Vietnamese Cinnamon)
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp light oil
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp granulated sugar (optional)
- 2 large eggs beaten or egg substitute
- 1½ tsp GF vanilla extract (McCormick's )
- ¾ cup crushed pineapple drained
- 1½ cups grated carrot (heaping)
- (optional: 1 cup chopped Roasted Pecans or walnuts, coconut and/or ½ cup raisins)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 2+ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease cupcake tin or line with paper cups.
- In a large bowl mix together oil, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until combined and smooth. Add beaten eggs, then the vanilla, and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: muffin mix, baking powder, and cinnamon. Slowly add the dry mixture into the wet ingredients, stirring just until mixed.
- Then fold in the grated carrots and crushed pineapple by hand, and stir until combined. If you would like to add nuts, coconut and/or raisins, stir them in at this time as well. (For layered cake follow baking directions below)
- Scoop the batter into a muffin tin, filling each about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the side.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then reduce the oven to 350°F and continue baking for 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. "Oven temps may vary"
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in tin for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- For the frosting, blend the cream cheese, and butter until smooth. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar until smooth. Transfer to a plastic bag or similar tool for piping the frosting evenly on the cupcakes.
- If frosting is too thick, you can add in a teaspoon or two of milk. If it is too thin, you can add in more powdered sugar.
If you love cream cheese frosting A LOT, you need to double the frosting. Having a little extra has never been a problem for me.
Layered Carrot Cake Recipe
Makes 3 level 8" layered cake or 2 level 9" layered cake
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease 3 8" cake pans.
- Double the cake and frosting recipe above and follow directions through step 4.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then reduce the oven to 350°F and continue baking for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cakes comes out clean. Remove pans and let them cool on a wire rack until the cakes reach room temperature.
- Refrigerate layered cake about 15 minutes to chill slightly. (this makes it easier to frost)
- Use a large knife or a cake leveler to level off the domed tops of the cakes so that they are level and even.
- Layer the cakes with the cream cheese frosting, and then frost the outside of the cake as you desire. Slice and serve.
Did you make this recipe? We'd love to see your creations. Tag @minusgbaking on Instagram or @MinusGBakingCo on Facebook. Happy baking!