In my humble opinion these carrot cupcakes are perfectly moist, soft, and delicious, made with fresh carrots, toasted pecans, and topped with a luscious cream cheese frosting! Yum yum yum!
You might say “Carrot Cake is too sweet for me”. I used to say the same until I adjusted my recipe. Most of the carrot cakes I remember were overly sweet, and only a few bites were more than I enjoyed. That's why I reduced the amount of sugar in my recipe. Believe me, you’ll enjoy every bite, down to the last crumb!
Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Makes 12 Cupcakes or one 9" Cake. See Layered Cake recipe below.
- 1½ cup MinusG’s Simply Scrumptious Mix
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon (I use Penzeys Vietnamese Cinnamon)
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp light oil
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp granulated sugar (optional)
- 2 large eggs beaten or egg substitute
- 1½ tsp GF vanilla extract (McCormick's )
- ¾ cup crushed pineapple drained
- 1½ cups grated carrot (heaping)
- (optional: 1 cup chopped Roasted Pecans or walnuts, coconut and/or ½ cup raisins)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 2+ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease cupcake tin or line with paper cups.
- In a large bowl mix together oil, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until combined and smooth. Add beaten eggs, then the vanilla, and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: muffin mix, baking powder, and cinnamon. Slowly add the dry mixture into the wet ingredients, stirring just until mixed.
- Then fold in the grated carrots and crushed pineapple by hand, and stir until combined. If you would like to add nuts, coconut and/or raisins, stir them in at this time as well. (For layered cake follow baking directions below)
- Scoop the batter into a muffin tin, filling each about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the side.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then reduce the oven to 350°F and continue baking for 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. "Oven temps may vary"
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in tin for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- For the frosting, blend the cream cheese, and butter until smooth. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar until smooth. Transfer to a plastic bag or similar tool for piping the frosting evenly on the cupcakes.
- If frosting is too thick, you can add in a teaspoon or two of milk. If it is too thin, you can add in more powdered sugar.
If you love cream cheese frosting A LOT, you need to double the frosting. Having a little extra has never been a problem for me.
Layered Carrot Cake Recipe
Makes 3 level 8" layered cake or 2 level 9" layered cake
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease 3 8" cake pans.
- Double the cake and frosting recipe above and follow directions through step 4.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then reduce the oven to 350°F and continue baking for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cakes comes out clean. Remove pans and let them cool on a wire rack until the cakes reach room temperature.
- Refrigerate layered cake about 15 minutes to chill slightly. (this makes it easier to frost)
- Use a large knife or a cake leveler to level off the domed tops of the cakes so that they are level and even.
- Layer the cakes with the cream cheese frosting, and then frost the outside of the cake as you desire. Slice and serve.